Re: ITP: LilyPond 1.5.73

--- Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> wrote:
> Joshua Daniel Franklin <joshuadfranklin@yahoo.com> writes:
> > My only question is the ".midi" files produced; are these supposed
> > to be sound files?
>
> Yes, and I can even top that statement:
>
>     $ uname -a
>     CYGWIN_NT-5.1 ABBICCI 1.3.12(0.54/3/2) 2002-07-06 02:16 i686 unknown
>     09:53:58 fred@ABBICCI:~
>     $ file example-1.midi
>     example-1.midi: Standard MIDI data (format 1) using 2 tracks
>
> they *are* sound files, of flavour MIDI to be exact.  Am I correct in
> assuming that your midi player has a problem with them?  What player
> are you using, could you try another one?

'file' give the same output on my machine, but none of my media players
get any sound. MIDI files are a simple format, right? I shouldn't need any
special software/hardware? WinAMP and Windows Media Player act like
they're playing the files but there isn't any sound. I verified that my
volume isn't muted; I can play WAV files, MP3, etc. just fine.
Don't know if this is really much of a show-stopper since the point of
lilypond is to typeset the music, AFAIKT.