Re: setup.exe crashing Windows 2000

Max Bowsher wrote:
Isn't this an option? On my WinXP its: Control Panel > System > Advanced >
Startup and Recovery > Settings > System Failiure > Automatically Restart

It is an option on Windows 2000. It has been a long time since I have seen an operating system crash on W2K.

Regardless, a user application shoudn't be able crash the entire system under
2k. It sounds like setup is triggering a bad device driver.

It might not be a bad idea to download the latest drivers for that network card.

It doesn't seem to be the network card drivers. I installed the Microsoft debugger and symbols to debug the memory dumps. From the stack traces, it looks like the problem is caused by Norton Utilities. My guess is that a change in Windows 2000 SP3 brings out a bug in some of the Norton drivers. setup.exe tickles the bug causing the crash.

- Ian

--
Ian Burrell
iburrell@znark.com