Re: setup readme possibility (was about nano)

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 11:01:51AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
>On Fri, 2002-10-18 at 10:53, Gareth Pearce wrote:
>

>> But at a guess a patch for dialog saying - read the documentation and
>> pointing out where it can be found... might be accepted. (I wont pretend to
>> second guess Robert's oppinions here).  Setup does at least now install a
>> set of links to the documentation in the start menu (thinking thats probably
>> part of the documentation package but couldnt be sure).
>>
>> Might be more acceptable if this was done by the post-instal script of the
>> documentation package (assuming it only told you on first instalation).
>> However that sort of thing would conflict with further work towards
>> automated instalation.
>
>Definately a postinstall thing. I'll accept a data driven patch to setup
>too (but that is *much* harder).

What do you think about having setup always install and run one shell
script after it is finished?  Something like a super post-install
script?

It could be something like a /etc/profile file with hooks to run a local
post install script if they exist.  It would also run any scripts that any
package wanted to install to ensure that things are ok after the user runs
setup.

Something like:

  #!/bin/sh

  [ -x /usr/local/etc/setup_customize.sh ] && . /usr/local/etc/presetup_customize.sh

  for f in /etc/setup/postinstall_always/*; do
      . $f
  done

  [ -x /usr/local/etc/setup_customize.sh ] && . /usr/local/etc/postsetup_customize.sh

I can't remember anything like this being mentioned before.  Apologies
if it has been.

Actually, the shell script could also look for the standard .bat and .sh files.
Executing them in one window would stop all of the black boxes from flashing
after setup completes.

cgf