Re: Default script installation

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 06:20:08PM -0000, Max Bowsher wrote:
>> Like this:
>> - User installs Cygwin. Current version of update-defaults runs.
>> - User later installs another package (non-Base) It's /etc/defaults
>> files are not copied.
>> - Problem.
>
> Like this:
> - User installs Cygwin, selects base and 27 other packages.  Current
> version of update-defaults runs.
> - User later instlls another package (non-Base).  Its /etc/defaults
> files
> are not copied.
>
> i.e., it has nothing to do with Base and this is what we have already
> discussed to death.

Sorry, what I mean is that the /etc/defaults mechanism won't work well for
non-Base packages.

Yes, the /etc/profile package is Base, just mentioning that update-defaults
isn't a generic solution.

>> 1) The order is known, but perhaps not ideal.
>
> What's the order?  I thought it was FindNextFile order.

So alphabetic (ASCIIbetic, anyway) - not documented by MS anywhere I can
see, but seems reliable.

>>> Given the glacial progress of setup.exe development, I guess neither
>>> is likely to happen soon.
>>
>> That was a hint, wasn't it :-)
>
> Yeah, and a real subtle one at that.  I'm not really pleased with the
> number of setup.exe problems we seem to be seeing.  I don't know what
> to do about it, though.

Number of problems? Yes, its bad that HEAD has regressed since the last
release, and there have been the occasional issue reported, but beyond that?

Max.