Re: ctags 5.5-2

Oh, here it is...

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 11:16:04AM +1200, Simon Liddington wrote:
> http://pop3check.sourceforge.net/cygwin/ctags/ctags-5.5-2-src.tar.bz2
> ctags-5.5-2-src.tar.bz2
>
> http://pop3check.sourceforge.net/cygwin/ctags/ctags-5.5-2.tar.bz2
> ctags-5.5-2.tar.bz2
>
> http://pop3check.sourceforge.net/cygwin/ctags/setup.hint
> setup.hint
>
> category: Devel
> requires: cygwin regex
                   ^^^^^
That can't be right.  The regex function are builtin to Cygwin.  The
regex library is just a leftover, kept for backward compatibility.

Wait... [dig, dig, dig] ... no, your binary doesn't use the regex lib,
poooh, that's good.

However, I examined the source archive and I stumbled over what is
mentioned in the patch file (better: in ctags.README):

  +Port Notes:
  +
  +----- version <5.5> -----
  +
  +This package is built with regex support. It is also built with
  +--disable-external-sort configure option to reduce package dependencies and is
  +built with regex support and --disable-etags. If you want to call ctags as

What's bad is that you disabled etags.  Why?  It wasn't disabled before
and I don't see a reason to do that since...

  +etags rather than using "ctags -e" then I recommend you copy ctags.exe to
  +etags.exe in the bin directory as windows doesn't do shortcuts with relative
  +paths.

...this comment is plainly wrong.  The shortcuts are created so that
they use absolute paths under native Windows and releative paths under
Cygwin.  Please enable etags again.  It was so before.

And actually I don't understand your change in the sources.  Why did
you remove the setting of FilesRequired enirely and why did you
invent that RunMakeTags?  Is that an official patch?

Oh and you should remove the dependency from regex in ctags.README.

Cygwin Developer                                mailto:cygwin at cygwin dot com
Red Hat, Inc.