Re: exim and gdbm

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 09:48:28PM -0400, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
> > Bad news:
> > The new gdbm library can't open old gdbm files because
> > an internal structure has changed size.
> >
> > Good news (at least for exim users):
> > Exim keeps no essential info in its db files.
> > All files in /var/spool/exim/db should be deleted when
> > installing the new gdbm.
>
> Wouldn't it make sense to add that to the postinstall script?  This
> might get rid of a couple of "Exim 1.5.0 not work"  questions on the ML.
>
> Corinna

Good idea. But how can I detect if it's the first time?
Also, people might jump from 4.20-1 to a future 4.X-Y

Ah, the postinstall script could try to gdbm_open the files
and delete them on failure (e.g. using /bin/exim_dumpdb).
Strictly speaking it should be in the gdbm postinstall.

Not sure how far I want to go. The databases basically contain
optimization hints. Exim keeps going when it can't open them, simply
making a log entry. I need to think some more.

Pierre