Re: clisp is in section misc?

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Lapo Luchini wrote:

> [snip]
>
> This leads me to think that maybe also categories could use a
> "Description", and not only single packages. This could clarify each
> category meaning.
> e.g. if math is "things that can be used to easily do math" then clisp
> is in (as it is python, for one), if it is "programs born to do math"
> then they aren't... it's just a definitions issue, nothing more.
>
> Robert? Would this be particularly difficult for setup.exe structure to do?
> (I could volunteer a patch maybe, but I'm not confident (yet) with setup
> code)

Lapo,

FWIW, I think it would be very useful to have this.

IMO, this kind of functionality will have two parts: a "categories.ini"
(distributed with setup.ini or local) along with the ability and data
structures to parse and store it, and the mechanism of displaying these
category descriptions in the chooser (through popup hints, or message
boxes, or whatever).  You can probably start working on the first part (as
it doesn't require too much knowledge of setup's internals), and hold off
on the second part until Gary's resizeable chooser functionality is in
(it'll change the event model somewhat, IIRC).  Incidentally, the same
mechanism could be used to display "ldesc:" fields for packages.  Of
course, Rob is the ultimate authority on these things...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu