Re: ITP: sgml-base-1.1

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 06:45:30PM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> I think this is a good thing to have in the distribution, and thus it has
> my (superfluous, as there are already three) vote.  Any particular reason
> the catalog is in /etc/sgml, though?  IIRC, /etc is a "config"
> directory...  Wouldn't /usr/share/sgml or something be more FHS-compliant
> (like /usr/share/man or /usr/share/doc)?

The actual catalogs are in /usr/share/sgml/, /etc/sgml/ holds the
"centralized catalogs" like foo.cat (which points to the actual
foo DTDs and stylesheet catalogs) and the "super catalog" /etc/sgml/catalog
(which points to centralized catalogs). I guess you could consider these
the "config catalogs".

Unlike some other distributions, which put the update script and DTDs for
HTML and ISO Entities in sgml-common, sgml-base has no actual DTDs
or stylesheets.  I'd prefer to keep the script separate and put these in
something like sgml-common-dtds.

The FHS Standard 2.2 devotes a couple paragraphs to SGML setup:
<http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-3.7.html#3.7.6>
<http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-4.11.html#4.11.7>

And the LSB proposal rationale can be found here:
<http://www.dulug.duke.edu/~mark/debian/sgml/bischoff/sgmloverview.html>