Re: HEADSUP: cygserver now has MSG, SEM and SHM support

Corinna,

I *very* sorry for the very sluggish response time.  It is not a
reflection on your great work or a lack of interest on my part -- it is
just the sad fact that my life's hectic factor went up by a magnitude or
two over its normal feverish pace for the last month or so... :,(

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 12:10:58PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> a headsup which affects a few packages and, of course, the developers
> of Cygwin.  Last week I have applied a pretty big patch, which turns
> Cygserver upside down.  It now contains basically the FreeBSD kernel
> implementation of System V (or, in X/Open / SUSv3 speak) XSI IPC support.
>
> This means, not too far from now, we can drop the cygipc package and
> packages like postgresql can switch to using Cygserver.
>
> [snip]
>
> However, I'd like to ask maintainers of affected packages to give
> Cygserver a try.  You will have to rebuild your packages and you
> should make sure that the Cygwin header files sys/ipc.h, sys/msg.h,
> sys/sem.h and sys/shm.h overwrote the cygipc files before building
> your package(s).  And don't link against libcygipc ;-)

I have some good news to report.  First, PostgreSQL builds OOTB against
cygserver without *any* source changes.  Second, PostgreSQL appears to
work just fine when used casually.

Unfortunately, when I run PostgreSQL's regression test (which drives the
system "hard"), I get the following errors:

      3 [main] postmaster 1144 transport_layer_pipes::connect: lost connection to cygserver, error = 2
LOG:  server process (PID 1144) was terminated by signal 12
LOG:  terminating any other active server processes
LOG:  all server processes terminated; reinitializing
    371 [main] postmaster 2056 transport_layer_pipes::connect: lost connection to cygserver, error = 2
LOG:  semctl(65536, 0, IPC_RMID, ...) failed: Interrupted system call
LOG:  shmdt(0xbe0000) failed: Interrupted system call
LOG:  shmctl(65536, 4096, 0) failed: Interrupted system call
FATAL:  could not create shared memory segment: Interrupted system call
DETAIL:  Failed system call was shmget(key=5432001, size=8970240, 03600).

I believe the above occurs because cygserver "just" exits:

    $ /usr/sbin/cygserver
    cygserver: Initialization complete.  Waiting for requests.
    $

I am using cygwin-inst-20031231.tar.bz2 with cygserver from the latest
CVS as my test environment.

FWIW, fetchmail seems to "just" exit when run under this version of
Cygwin too.  So, maybe the problem is with Cygwin and not cygserver?

Unfortunately, my build of the latest Cygwin CVS does not appear to work
-- all commands just immediately exit.  I will try to debug further when
I can build a working version of the DLL.

Thanks,
Jason