Re: Heads-up: postinstall scripts and PATH (Attn all package maintainers)

Robert Collins wrote:

On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 07:39, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

I'm updating the xfig setup.hint files right now. I am also fixing the longstanding issue of depending upon ghostscript instead of 'ghostscript-x11 ghostscript-base'. This has caused numerous compliants about being unable to export figures correctly from xfig.

if ghostscript-x11 depends on ghostscript-base, and you don't explicity
call stuff in ghostscript-base, then you should not list
ghostscript-base.

I recall being told long ago that I should do just the opposite of what you are suggesting.

I suggest that it does make sense to put in an explicit dependency on some such packages, though perhaps not all such packages, because if a user already has ghostscript-x11 and ghostscript-base installed, then manually uninstalls ghostscript-base, then selects xfig, I believe that ghostscript-base will not be reselected. Rather than field bug reports, I would prefer to just prevent that from happening. On the other hand, if setup.exe always does a full recalculation of dependecy trees when selecting a new package, then this will never be a problem and I can indeed remove ghostscript-base from the dependency list. Of course, I am lazy, so I have not tested this case recently.

Harold