Re: On forming a SC [was Re: ITP moratorium still in effect?]

--- chris jefferson <caj@cs.york.ac.uk> wrote:
>  >Yes, someone did. I have no problem with moving to a new installer
>
> Has moving to one of the existing linux packaging systems been
> considered? This would I think require changing cygwin so first you
> download a minimum package that just includes cygwin, the installer, and
> the basic utilties and then we used an existing packaging system.
>
> I'm sure this has been suggested before, but is it considered bad
> because it's not windowsy enough, would require too large a switch-over,
> or just because no-one is willing to work on it?

One of the main problems is the assumptions a linux packaging system
makes, for example that it can replace in-use executables. At a
minimum it would need to be patched to warn about rebooting the
way setup.exe does (rpm and dpkg are already available for cygwin, but
not recommended for this reason). The biggest problem from a chicken-and-egg
perspective is of course cygwin1.dll itself.