Re: ITP: leafnode

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 02:16:53PM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>>I've discussed this before with leafnode maintainer, Matthias Andree,
>>>and here's what he says:
>>>
>>><quote> The whole /var/spool/news/* organization relies on hard links.
>>>
>>>The expire process relies on the hard link count (st_nlink in struct
>>>stat, as in the <sys/stat.h> header file and returned by the stat()
>>>syscall) being correct, file copies on FAT32 will lead to premature
>>>expiry and a horrible waste of disk space, it may become unbearable for
>>>cross-posted articles.  </quote>
>>
>>Ok, so I vote "no" on this package given the above restriction.
>
>Umm, why?  Not that I'm voting for it, but as long as the package
>detects that it's not running on NTFS and bails out gracefully, it
>should be fine.  We have other NT-only packages in the distro (e.g.,
>editrights).

There's a difference between a package that is designed for NT and a
general-purpose package that doesn't work on NT.

If there are other packages in the distribution which have this
restriction then I must have been asleep.

Maybe Corinna disagrees, though.  That's why I voted "no" rather
than offered an outright veto.

cgf