Re: [HEADSUP] A new policy. First victim: Gerrit

On Jun 10 15:06, Reini Urban wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen schrieb:
> >Since my subject refers to Gerrit as the *first* victim: We would like
> >to give other contributors the same rights, but we also still need
> >reviewing of other packages.  So we would like to introduce this small
> >deal:  If you are maintaining at least three packages in the distro,
> >you can opt for the right to get new packages in without review and with
> >just one vote, if
> >
> >- you include a statement in your ITP along the lines of "I've successfully
> >  tried to install and use my own binary package and I did run through the
> >  complete build process of my own source archive from scratch and it
> >  worked fine."
> >
> >- you review another ITP'd package.
> >
> >Does that sound fair?
>
> Sounds fair and useful.
>
> But do you have statistics about the "most active people"? (to some degree)

I reckon the rule of thumb takes place here.

> Gerrit will be one of the most active, but what about Harold Hunt, Igor,
> cgf, corinna?
> Furthermore: max bowsher, charles wilson, dave korn, ...
> Just to get an idea where this deal will eventually lead.

It depends on you, the maintainers.  Everybody can ask to get this right,
just apply to the simple rules which should be obvious.  No reviews, no
new maintainers, far less new packages.

> I wouldn't make that dependant on the number of packages people
> maintain. Rather on the usefulness of the package and the expected
> problems with maintainership.

The three package rule is just so that it's clear that the maintainer has
some experience in packing and maintaining packages.  I doubt that you
can objectively value packages for their usefulness.  Except, probably,
the cygwin package itself.

Cygwin Co-Project Leader          mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
Red Hat, Inc.