Re: setup / postinastall script question

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Jul  9 09:46, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> > > export PATH=/usr/X11R6/bin:$PATH
> >
> > Well, postinstall scripts are usually run with /bin/sh, which means that
> > you'd have to use the following syntax:
> >
> > PATH="/usr/X11R6/bin:$PATH"
> > export PATH
>
> Erm... `export FOO=bar' is perfectly valid bourne shell syntax.  Just try
> it in ash.

Well, in all the bourne shell manuals I've seen, the export command can
only take a list of names.  The above is extended syntax that works in
ash, but is certainly not valid bourne shell syntax (incidentally, IIRC,
"$(cmd)" is not valid bourne shell syntax either, although it too works in
ash).

I understand that Cygwin's /bin/sh *is* ash, so if the postinstall script
is intended to only run on Cygwin, the point is moot.  I guess I was being
conservative, as well as thinking that if the postinstall script is also
reused in some other system that supports them (is it Debian's apt?), the
above might cause a problem.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/