Re: [ITP] Apache 2.0

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Jun 20 01:57, Max Bowsher wrote:
There doesn't seem to be any particular consensus between Linux distros on
whether the package should be called "apache2" or "httpd".
I have chosen to follow the naming of the official tarball, and call it
"httpd". (Red Hat/Fedora does the same, FWIW)

I like "apache2" better, FWIW.

The assumption that package name == tarball stem name is somewhat implied by the generic-build-script system. It wouldn't be impossible to work around, but it would be a bit weird.

What should the filenames be?

Like this:?

apache2-<ver>-<rel>.patch
apache2-<ver>-<rel>.sh
httpd-<ver>.tar.bz2

Or, all httpd, but the package files produced are named apache2?

I'll change the name if people really want, but it's not trivial.

Setup.exe URL:
http://www-stud.robinson.cam.ac.uk/~mob22/cygwin/

Other URLs:
http://www-stud.robinson.cam.ac.uk/~mob22/cygwin/release/httpd/httpd-2.0.54-1-src.tar.bz2
http://www-stud.robinson.cam.ac.uk/~mob22/cygwin/release/httpd/httpd-2.0.54-1.tar.bz2
http://www-stud.robinson.cam.ac.uk/~mob22/cygwin/release/httpd/httpd-devel/httpd-devel-2.0.54-1.tar.bz2
http://www-stud.robinson.cam.ac.uk/~mob22/cygwin/release/httpd/httpd-manual/httpd-manual-2.0.54-1.tar.bz2

Setup.hints:

sdesc: "Apache HTTPD 2.0"
ldesc: "The Apache Software Foundation HTTP Server"
category: Net Web
requires: cygwin libaprutil0 libapr0
[...]

Packaging looks mostly good but the following makes me wonder.

httpd-2.0.54-1.tar.bz2:

usr/sbin/cyghttpd2core.so

httpd-devel-2.0.54-1.tar.bz2:

 usr/sbin/libhttpd2core.dll.a
 usr/sbin/libhttpd2core.la

That looks wrong to me.  AFAICS, httpd2 is linked against
usr/sbin/cyghttpd2core.so.

This leads to a couple of questions.

- Why is the library not in /usr/bin as every other shared lib which is
load-time linked?

It seemed neater, and eliminating potential problems, to put it alongside the only executable that needed it, so that it would be found independent of PATH.

- Why is it called .so?  I have no problems with run-time linked modules
 called .so, we already have a couple of these, but I'm reluctant to call
 load-time linked libs .so. Did you test it on 9x?

No, I said goodbye to my last 9x machine a *loooong* time ago.

 I know for sure that
 you can call executables "foo" instead of "foo.exe" on NT, but the same
doesn't work on 9x.  What about load-time linked DLLs?

- Why are the *.dlla. and *.la files in /usr/sbin?  They belong under
/usr/lib, don't they?

The .so naming was specifically to cause this, (it's the only way to stop libtool from putting the dll in ../bin). The reason was to keep all of the files related to this implementation detail in a single directory.

I can try treating it as a normal shlib, not an implementation detail, and see how that works out.

One minor problem with your setup.hint.  htdbm2 is linked against libcrypt.
The dependency is missing.  THis is minor, because the package dependency
is given indirectly through the libaprutil0 dependency, but I'd add it for
completness.

Thanks, will do.

Besides from that, many thanks for packaging apache2!

No problem, once I found myself using it on a daily basis, I knew it was time to get a package out there :-)

Max.