Re: lapack 3.0

--- Christopher Faylor  wrote:
> FWIW, I don't think we want to start a precedent of official cygwin releases
> installing things in /usr/local.

The intent of the packaging design is that the official cygwin binary release
would _not_ install anything in /usr/local.  However, with installation of the
source package, it would be possible to build the locally optimized atlas
libraries.  These would be compiled from source and installed by a local
administrator.  That being the case, the preferred location would be
/usr/local, per fhs guidelines.

The binary release, as initially designed, would install link libraries in
/usr/lib and dlls in /usr/bin.  However, locating the dlls in /usr/bin is
problematic, because they become impossible to override with path manipulations
for binaries living in /usr/bin.  So this part of the design needs to be
revised.  After thinking about it, I don't think use of the /opt tree makes
that much sense; probably the easiest modification is to create a
/usr/bin/lapack subdirectory for the nonoptimized libraries to live in, and add
it to the back of the path in an init.d script.  This is what I am leaning towards.