Re: criteria for running preremove scripts?

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, Eric Blake wrote:

> To try and test the new /etc/preremove/~~bash.sh bundled with
> bash-3.0-7, I reran setup and selected reinstall on bash.  But looking
> in /var/log/setup.log.full, the script was removed without ever
> running, and looking in /etc/preremove, ~~bash.sh.done was never
> created.  Does the preremove logic in setup.exe depend on the script
> having the same name as the package that is being removed?  If so,
> then ~~bash.sh will never be run, it would have to be named
> bash.sh.  But changing the name would be problematic because the
> preremove script attempts to remove /bin/sh, which would invalidate
> all subsequent preremove scripts.  This needs to be one of the things
> looked at before the next setup.exe is released.

I'm afraid you're right.  The code from Installer::preremoveOne in
install.cc says:

try_run_script ("/etc/preremove/", pkg.name);

which essentially runs "/etc/preremove/PKGNAME.sh" and
"/etc/preremove/PKGNAME.bat".  As I understand, we currently have no way
of associating a preremove script with the package that contains it other
than by name.

I guess this is a <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC> situation.

FYI, the preremove scripts are not currently run in alphabetical order,
but rather in the order that the packages are removed, so the naming may
not be the right solution anyway.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT