Re: New application proposal - git-core SCM

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 01:31:34PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 11:01:16PM +0100, Tim O Callaghan wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I would like to propose myself as the cygwin maintainer for git-core.
> >http://www.kernel.org/git/
> >
> >This now works out of the box on cygwin, but it does not yet have a cygwin
> >package. I have created the patch to make it to generate cygwin install
> >packages, which i will be sending to the git people shortly. As this is my
> >first cygwin submission, i'll see how i get on with this before i attempt
> >to package Cogito ;)
> >
> >-------- setup.hint ---------
> ># git-core setup.hint - file required by cygwin package manager
> >#
> ># short description
> >sdesc: "Git-core - SCM Developed for the Linux kernel"
> ># long description
> >ldesc: "Git-core - SCM Developed for the Linux kernel - now available to
> >the windows masses via the magic of Cygwin"
> ># package category
> >category: Archive Devel
> ># depends
> >requires: cygwin libiconv zlib openssl curl-devel diff merge ssh
> >-------- setup.hint ---------
> >
> >URL's to packages will follow shortly.
>
> I'm all for this package but, as a minor nit, I think your setup.hint is
> a little too wordy.  Other than the first one, the comments don't add
> any useful information and are, IMO, just clutter.

IMHO having a description of what the file is, what it is for, and
what the various options are, is only good manners. Especially if you
want to submit it back to the vendor tree, which is probably not
Cygwin aware.

I hope to submit the git 99.9 release in the next week. I will also
probably be proposing to submit: autodoc, msmtp, mutt-ng, jassa-me/ne
and a few others.

BTW, would it be possible to request the Perl maintainer include
String::ShellQuote.pm in the Perl packages? as git-archimport requires
it.

Tim.
"Money can't buy friends, but it can get you a better class of enemy."
- Spike Milligan