RE: [ITP] Installation Profiles packages

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Robb, Sam wrote:

> > IMO, these packages should be in a special new category (I propose the
> > name "@Profiles" to make setup put this at the top, but I don't know
> > if setup will parse this correctly).  I've attached a few sample
> > profile packages for commonly requested configurations with the
> > corresponding setup.hints.  We could probably concentrate them all in
> > one directory (thus the '@ ...' lines at the top of the hint files).
> > All the .tar.bz2 files are the same empty tarball -- it's the
> > setup.hints that are important.
>
> Wow.  This sounds neat.

Yeah, I was surprised myself at how well it works out...

> This would be particularly nice if setup.exe were modified so that on an
> initial installation, it showed a "profile selection page" first,
> instead of the package selection page.
>
> The profile selection page would let the user choose one or more
> profiles to install; the packages selected would be a union of the
> dependencies from the profiles.  There could be a check box for
> "advanced package selection" that the user could select if they wanted
> to go to the regular package selection page.
>
> Re-running setup.exe (for updates, as opposed to an installation)
> would skip the profile selection page and go straight to the package
> selection page.

This sounds like the kind of support we might eventually have, but for
now, placing the "@Profiles" category first (which ought to happen
automatically anyway), and maybe having setup auto-expand it, should be
enough.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/