Re: Prefab Program Selections (was: RE: Regrouping on "installationprofile" idea)

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 12:20:26PM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> >On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >So, does ".Task-oriented Bundles" make sense to people?  Or
> >".Usage-oriented Bundles"?
>
> I think either makes sense, yes.  Could you do an ASCII representation of
> what you'd expect the screen to look like?

With the maximized chooser, of course:

[+] All () Default
  [+] .Usage-oriented bundles () Default
        1.0-1       () Keep             n/a [ ]         1k  GCC Development
        1.0-1       () Keep             n/a [ ]         1k  LaTeX Development
        1.0-1       () Keep             n/a [ ]         1k  SSH Server
        1.0-1       () Keep             n/a [ ]         1k  Web Server
        1.0-1       () Keep             n/a [ ]         1k  X Windows
  [+] Admin () Default
  [+] Archive () Default

Looking at the above, ".Intended Use" makes even more sense, IMO.
BTW, I see no reason to not use spaces in the names of these packages.

Pasting the below from private mail, to make sure it doesn't get lost:

Later, when setup is changed to put package name first in category view,
something like this would make sense too:

[+] All () Default
  [+] .I would like to... () Default
        Develop programs using GCC        1.0-1       () Keep  n/a [ ]   1k
        Run X windows                     1.0-1       () Keep  n/a [ ]   1k
        Run the SSHD server               1.0-1       () Keep  n/a [ ]   1k
        Run the Apache web server         1.0-1       () Keep  n/a [ ]   1k
        Write documents using LaTeX       1.0-1       () Keep  n/a [ ]   1k
  [+] Admin () Default
  [+] Archive () Default

> >>I really don't like the need for underscores or dashes and I *really*
> >>don't like the upper case stuff.  When I see all upper case on a screen
> >>I think there's something not set up right somewhere.
> >
> >Well, it'll have to be attention-grabbing.  Barring color, ALL-CAPS is
> >the only way we can do this, right?  The underscores you are probably
> >right about -- I was just trying to avoid the need to quote the
> >category name.  BTW, the dash in this case is not a divider, but a
> >legitimate hyphen -- it'd be there even in the normal case.
>
> Aren't these already going to be sorted first, owing to the "."?  Could we
> use '***' instead of '.', maybe?  That would be attention grabbing.

Hmm...  Not sure, but we can try it and see.  It's not like the category
name is set in stone -- it could always be changed later, until we find
something that people like.

> >Even though this has to be compatible with the current versions of
> >setup, I'd still like to add some magic to setup to support something
> >like this (e.g., auto-expand any category that starts with a ".", or
> >reorder columns in category view so that the package name comes first).
>
> Yes, I think the GUI needs to be updated at some point to handle these
> properly.

BTW, I have the first patch ready -- will send it out separately.
The second doesn't look too hard either; probably later this week...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu