Re: [ITP] cygport

On 5/4/06, Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
(Yes, the syntax is *inspired* by Gentoo Portage, but not identical, and
the code behind it is mostly my own.)

Wow...

Once upon a time, I coughed up a proto-ITP, which met with few
remarks.  I have since advanced my documentation on the matter:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gentoo_on_Cygwin

Might it be more advisable to make Portage do this job?  Granted, most
of the Portage tree isn't going to work for Cygwin, but there's no
reason that Cygwin can't have it's own.

What is cygport NOT?

* A distribution management tool.  cygport knows nothing about installed
packages, dependency resolution (although it does check for the programs
it needs to run, and a few check_* functions are available), or
installing to the system.

* Complete. See TODO, and much more documentation is also needed.

* Perfect.  I've been using this for a while now, and having built
_numerous_ packages with it (including all of X11R7.0), it's coming
along, but there's still work to do.

Here are the URLs and setup.hint.  To build the source package, you'll
need to install the binary package, then run:

cygport cygport-0.1.92-1.cygport ('all' or 'almostall check finish')

Running check will show you cygport bootstrapping itself, much like I do
from my source repository.  cygport is just a collection of bash
scripts, so the build itself doesn't take long at all.

Portage actually *is* some of these things... ;-)

Cheers,
Jason