This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: setup.exe: No choice of mount point type?
- From: Christopher Faylor <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 09:32:26 -0500
- Subject: Re: setup.exe: No choice of mount point type?
- References: <20070207140300.GN27843@calimero.vinschen.de>
- Reply-to: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 03:03:00PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>I just had an in-shower inspiration which I have to share immediately.
>Given that we still support textmode mounts for historical reasons, but
>don't like people actually using them, what if setup.exe would simply
>not give the choice? We can't keep users from changing the mount points
>after an installation, but who demands from us to leave the user the
>choice in the base installation process? Just removing the button group
>from the options dialog would be sufficient, me thinks...
I think we're sending a mixed message about textmode mounts these days
when it is one of the "solutions" to make bash understand CRLF scripts.
And, as much as I like not offering people this option, I think we'll be
flooded with user requests if we delete it.
OTOH, maybe including something like:
'See "man mount" for details about how to change the characteristics of
the cygwin root or to mount additional directories.'
would be sufficient.