Re: 9x aware setup.exe (was Re: EOL for Windows 95/98/Me)

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> We just create a release_9x symlink for now and a setup_9x.ini generated
> from setup.ini by running it through sed -e 's/release/release_9x/'.
> This allows testing and deploying the new setup.exe tool very soon.  It
> has the aditional advantage that most users already are using the right
> setup version when 1.7.0 gets released once.

That sounds like a good way to ease into the transition.  The only
possible downside I can think of is whether all the mirrors out there
would mirror a symlink as a symlink (probably the case if using rsync)
or by actually duplicating everything.  If the latter that could
considerably increase the bulk of the repository.  Of course, this is
assuming that when we actually do the real forking of the two release
dirs that we would only be copying the curr+prev versions of each
package into the 9x dir and not the various older versions that live in
the directories but aren't readily accessible.  If that's not the case
then we'd be duplicating it all eventually anyway so this is irrelevant.

Brian