This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: 9x aware setup.exe (was Re: EOL for Windows 95/98/Me)
- From: Christopher Faylor <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com, cygwin-developers at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:00:09 -0500
- Subject: Re: 9x aware setup.exe (was Re: EOL for Windows 95/98/Me)
- References: <Pine.GSO.email@example.com> <20070212152516.GM4158@calimero.vinschen.de> <Pine.GSO.firstname.lastname@example.org> <45D10F97.A35A1977@dessent.net> <Pine.GSO.email@example.com> <20070227123554.GG24859@calimero.vinschen.de> <45E4D6CA.2D892B15@dessent.net> <20070228091526.GQ24859@calimero.vinschen.de> <20070228155006.GC22134@trixie.casa.cgf.cx> <20070228160220.GA27276@calimero.vinschen.de>
- Reply-to: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com, cygwin-developers at cygwin dot com
On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 05:02:20PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Feb 28 10:50, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 10:15:26AM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> >On Feb 27 17:11, Brian Dessent wrote:
>> >> I tested this locally using a VMware Win98 image and it seems to do the
>> >> right thing, but of course it would always be good to get more testers.
>> >> I thought I'd wait until the mirrors actually contain a setup_9x.ini
>> >> file before making this available as a setup snapshot.
>> >Thanks, Brian, it's highly appreciated.
>> >I'm just wondering if we should create a 9x mirror already now, or if we
>> >should wait just before the first 1.7.0 release.
>> >Hmm, what about this?
>> >We just create a release_9x symlink for now and a setup_9x.ini generated
>> >from setup.ini by running it through sed -e 's/release/release_9x/'.
>> >This allows testing and deploying the new setup.exe tool very soon. It
>> >has the aditional advantage that most users already are using the right
>> >setup version when 1.7.0 gets released once.
>> I woke up this morning and realized that it shouldn't be called "9x" but
>> rather "legacy". Then it should be slightly clearer that this
>> repository supports older windows and maybe even now-obsolete cygwin
>I agree. "legacy" sounds better. What do you think about the symlink
>idea for now?
Go for it.