Re: [HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 11:56:28AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Apr 13 15:35, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 11:42:46AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> >We would need to transfer them to the new place or we stick to the
>> >"Cygnus Solutions" for backward compatibility.  I'm not sure we still
>> >need the Program Options thingy.  I never heard about anybody actually
>> >using heap_slop_in_mb and only fortran programmers seem to need
>> >heap_chunk_in_mb :)
>>
>> I use Program Options (since I invented it) but I'm probably the only
>> person in the known universe to do so.
>
>Are you suggesting to remove the Program Options?  I admit I never quite
>understood what to do with them which I couldn't put into a script.

?  "Program Options" are not intended to be put in a script.  They are
intended to be set once to cygwin environment variable settings and then
forgotten.  It's somewhat equivalent to setting a global cygwin
environment variable and could be used to set a per-system or per-user
policy.

>>>I'm all for changing the name from "Cygnus Solutions" to "Red Hat", but
>>>OTOH I think keeping the name of the key is more hassle free.
>>
>>Can't it just be "Cygwin" rather than "Cygnus Solutions" or "Red Hat"?
>
>By definition the key under the Software key is supposed to be the
>company name, the next key is the product key, os it should contain the
>"Red Hat" *iff* we change it.  I'm not sure, though, we should change
>it at all.

Yes, I know.  I just don't think it clarifies anything to put a "Red
Hat" in the registry.

cgf