Re: [HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> I would suggest to use a setup subkey, because you might find that
> you have to store more than one value at one point.  It would be
> cleaner this way, imho.  And originally we came up with the version
> number, too, so what about "setup-2" or "setup"?

Traditionally setup has stored all of its state in files under
/etc/setup.  I think this is a good thing to continue, since it makes it
easy to access and manipulate them from scripts.  Given that we're
moving the mount table out of the registry and into /etc, I don't see
why we'd want to do the reverse with setup's bits.  So in that sense, I
don't see a need for a subkey that will only ever have one key.

On the other hand, I'd hate for a bad decision now to make things
annoying in the future.  Let me ask this: what's the layout for the
other items that will still be in the registry?  Are we still looking
at:

\Software\Cygwin\Program Options\default
\Software\Cygwin\Program Options\foo.exe
\Software\Cygwin\Program Options\bar.exe
\Software\Cygwin\heap_chunk_in_mb
\Software\Cygwin\heap_slop_in_mb

This is kind of ugly too, we have a mix of things with spaces and
underscores.  How about the following:

\Software\Cygwin\setup\rootdir
\Software\Cygwin\options\heap_chunk_in_mb
\Software\Cygwin\options\heap_slop_in_mb
\Software\Cygwin\options\defaults
\Software\Cygwin\options\app-specific\foo.exe
\Software\Cygwin\options\app-specific\bar.exe

Or, perhaps:

\Software\Cygwin\rootdir
\Software\Cygwin\heap_chunk_in_mb
\Software\Cygwin\heap_slop_in_mb
\Software\Cygwin\default_options
\Software\Cygwin\app-specific\foo.exe
\Software\Cygwin\app-specific\bar.exe

I really don't know.

(The version number I think is implicit in the fact that this is a
totally new key that's never been used before.  If in the very distant
future setup needs yet another namespace it can have a "setup-2" subkey
then.)

Brian