Re: Setup for 1.7 must still handle 9x?

On Aug 12 16:25, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 08:02:15PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >On Aug 12 17:35, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >>Is it worth it at all?  Isn't it sufficient to keep the 1.5 installer
> >>on the branch and use it for 9x installations in future only?
> >
> >Never mind.  Baring any dumb mistakes, it's apparently not *that*
> >complicated.
>
> But, FWIW, I would be fine with keeping 1.5 support on a branch.

Too late :)

I just applied my patch.  This version now uses setup-2.ini on NT and
setup.ini on 9x.  I tested it on XP and 98.

New features:

- Installs 1.7 on NT and 1.5.x on 9x.

- Uses wide char functions, long path names and the Cygwin UNICODE
  transformation of special DOS characters on NT.

- Reads package DB the first time *after* the user pressed the "Next"
  button in the root dir dialog, so that setup doesn't use the package
  DB from a former installation by accident if the user chooses to
  install into a new directory.

- Tries to fetch the root dir from {HKLM,HKCU}/Software/Cygwin/setup/rootdir
  Stores it there at installation time.

- Does not write registry mount points on NT.

- Dynamically changes the layout of the root dir dialog so that there's
  no user choice for text/binmode.

It works for me(TM), so I don't know what I screwed up.  But at least
we have finally a version of setup which can be used by all package
maintainers.

If nobody beats me to it, I'll upload this version as setup-1.7.exe to
http://cygwin.com tomorrow.

Peace,

Red Hat