Re: gcc-4.3 compatibility and cygwin-1.7 policy questions [Was:: Re: SECURITY vulnerabilities update 2007-Sep-25]

Brian Dessent wrote:

> Yes, this is why having an unversioned but shared libgcc in the distro
> is such a poison.  With the current state of gcc4 it's impossible to win
> as maintainer of a C++ library: if you use the default options you get
> static libgcc which means your library can't throw or catch exceptions
> from other modules.  If you use -shared-libgcc you get a dependence on
> an unversioned shared lib which makes the output unsuitable to be
> released to the public in the distro because it will only cause
> headaches later.  So I consider this gcc4 package to be in a preview
> state, but it its output should not be considered suitable for packaging
> yet.

Err...but that's a good description of cygwin-1.7, as well. Nobody (as
far as I am aware) is suggesting that a test/preview gcc-4.3 package
should be used as a "regular" compiler for cygwin-1.5.

The question is, do we take a flyer on gcc-4.3 in the cygwin-1.7
sandbox, hoping to get /all/ the kinks worked out -- in both gcc-4.3 and
in cygwin-1.7 -- by the time cygwin-1.7 goes "gold".

--
Chuck