Re: gcc-4.3 compatibility and cygwin-1.7 policy questions [Was:: Re: SECURITY vulnerabilities update 2007-Sep-25]

Charles Wilson wrote:

> Err...but that's a good description of cygwin-1.7, as well. Nobody (as
> far as I am aware) is suggesting that a test/preview gcc-4.3 package
> should be used as a "regular" compiler for cygwin-1.5.

I thought so as well, but people are already putting stuff built with
gcc4 into the distro:
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2008-09/msg00017.html>.

> The question is, do we take a flyer on gcc-4.3 in the cygwin-1.7
> sandbox, hoping to get /all/ the kinks worked out -- in both gcc-4.3 and
> in cygwin-1.7 -- by the time cygwin-1.7 goes "gold".

I guess all I'm saying is that the minimum precondition before we should
even think about starting to recompile anything is that gcc4 should
default to shared and versioned libgcc.  Until then it's just going to
create more headaches to deal with later.

Brian