[ITA] X.Org X11R7.4

I hereboy propose to take maintainership of Cygwin/X.

It was over two years ago that I started to work on the (then brand-new)
modular X11, and it was indeed in consideration of the sheer number of
packages involved that I created cygport.  Both cygport and X11 have
come a long way since then.  While there were several delays, both
personal and technical in nature, now I think we are (finally!) ready to
proceed.

WHAT'S NEW IN X11R7.4?

1) Each component (program, library, set of headers, set of fonts, etc.)
is shipped upstream in its own package, for a total of ~185 source
packages.  Sources are autotoolized, but the old imake system is still
available separately for external packages still using it.

2) /usr/X11R6 is gone; the standard /usr prefix is now used.

3) Fonts have been moved to /usr/share/fonts.

4) libX11 is XCB-based.  This adds a dependency on xcb-proto and libxcb,
which I propose to add now as well.

5) A number of X extensions (DMX, FontCache, LBX, XF86BigFont, Xinerama,
Xprint, XTrap, and the font server) have been deprecated upstream and in
most cases completely removed from the xserver; their corresponding
libraries and programs will therefore not be included.

6) OpenGL support is built from the upstream Mesa package, which I have
also split into individual library packages.

EXISTING X11 PACKAGES:

The current xorg-x11-* packages will be replaced by empty transitional
packages, and should now be considered OBSOLETE and standing in my name.

I will also take the X-start-menu-icons and X-startup-scripts packages,
which will be updated to reflect the new locations.

I would also ask the consent of the current maintainers of a few
X-related packages to take over these as well:

fontconfig (Jan Nieuwenhuizen)
lesstif (Brian Ford)
xterm (Jari Aalto)

TRANSITION PLAN:

1) Once approved, I will upload the new packages under release/X.Org/
for easier management; I request that this directory not be used for
other packages.

2) Empty xorg-x11-* transition packages will be uploaded, and these will
depend on the appropriate replacements ONLY as necessary, without
defeating the purpose of *modular* X11.

3) Existing packages which depend on X11 will have their dependencies
adjusted, with a notice here for maintainers to correct their local
copies accordingly.

4) An announcement will be made on cygwin-xfree-announce@ with all the
details.

5) X-dependent package maintainers should check their packages against
the new libraries, and rebuild if their package depends on an obsolete
library or if currently installed into /usr/X11R6.

6) Further development will continue on cygwin-xfree@.

WHAT I NEED:

1) PLEASE, don't even *think* about asking me to ITP all ~185 sources
individually. :-)

2) Approval of the addition of "_source" as a setup.hint package
category. This is used for library packages which are split up into
libfooN and libfoo-devel, with nothing to go in the "main" libfoo package.

3) cgf: I would like to coordinate a timeframe with you to do the move
into release/ and dependency-adjustment, so that we can handle any upset
errors by IRC rather than the list.

4) Write permissions for the Cygwin/X website, and moderator permissions
for cygwin-xfree-announce@ list.  (I already have upload permissions on
sourceware.)

THANKS:

Jon Turney for organizing everyone else's patches, and adding several
more of his own.

Colin Harrison for permission to use his Xming patches.

Janjaap Bos for pinpointing the font-finding problem to weak symbol
handling in libXfont, and helping with porting XWin to the new input API.

Larry Hall for continuing to answer questions on cygwin-xfree@.

Reini Urban for continual enthusiasm about this ever happening.

Previous Cygwin/X leaders Alan Hourihane, Alexander Gottwald, and Harold
L Hunt II, and all other previous maintainers and contributors.

And whomever else I may have inadvertently neglected to mention.

Yaakov