Re: [RFC] ready for cygport to default to gcc4?

On Fri, Apr 03, 2009 at 05:02:24PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Apr  3 10:23, Charles Wilson wrote:
>> Yes, and we're (slowly) getting there.  BTW, I do not believe the
>> following thread
>> "[RFC] ABI bump for building with gcc4 ?"
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2009-03/msg00033.html
>> ever reached a resolution.  Only you, Dave, and I participated...any
>> other maintainers have an opinion?
>
>Not me.  I'm just going with the flow.
>
>> FWIW, I'm starting to lean in your direction (towards a flag day
>> release) on that regard, but I'd really like to hear from Corinna and/or
>> cgf on that issue. Also, a flag day release requires the participation
>> of ALL maintainers, so it's not a decision that just a few of us can
>> make on our own.
>
>Many packages have no requirement for a flag day at all.  What about
>packages like sed, which basically consist of a single application?
>What sense does it make to re-build it with gcc4?
>
>Not all maintainers are very active.  That's no criticism, it's just the
>fact of life and, even when not being as active as the core pack, they
>are helping the Cygwin distro a lot.

As one of the maintainers who falls in the sporadically active category
I really don't relish the thought of a flag day version bump.  I wasn't
paying really close attention but I seem to recall Yaakov mentioning
that other distros didn't require a version bump when moving to gcc4 so
I would rather not do this.

And, as Corinna mentions, it would be very difficult to pull off anyway.

cgf