Re: Suggestion for terminal package maintainers

On Jun 2 09:39, Ken Brown wrote:
On 6/2/2009 9:28 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
On Jun 1 17:03, Ken Brown wrote:
The Cygwin console, after some changes made this past weekend, now uses ^? as the default erase character, and this is what is sent by the backspace key instead of ^H [...]
What makes me a bit concerned about this change is that, while we can
change Cygwin's terminfo and termcap files, we can't do that for
existing non-Cygwin installations.  Is it really safe to change the BS
key to ^? now that the "cygwin" terminal type is known to return ^H for
so many years?
Applications like emacs that use ncurses should have no problem. Are there applications that rely on the historical behavior of the cygwin terminal type rather than querying terminfo? Apart from cygwin, such applications would have problems with any terminal type that decides to change its behavior.
Sorry, I think I misinterpreted what you meant by "non-Cygwin installations". But wouldn't the issue be resolved by pushing the change to the cygwin terminal type in terminfo upstream?

It would solve it over time when non-Cygwin systems pick up the latest terminfo/termcap. I'm just wondering if it's not a bit surprising for remote apps when started in a Cygwin console window via ssh/rsh/telnet/etc.

OK, I get it now. With the latest snapshot installed, I just started a Cygwin console and logged into a Redhat linux system via ssh. Terminfo has the wrong information, of course:

$ tput -T cygwin kbs | cat -v
^H

/etc/termcap doesn't have an entry for cygwin, so that's not an issue. But stty gets it right, inheriting the setting from the Cygwin console I guess:

$ stty -a | grep erase
... erase = ^? ...

And when I start emacs, both the backspace key and C-h work as expected.

That's just emacs. I don't know what will happen with other applications.

Ken