Re: [ITP] task-1.7.1-1 (pinging for awaiting review)

Charles Wilson wrote:
> Dave Korn wrote:
>>   Urrgh.  I see you noticed a problem of some sort.  It appears to install a
>> duplicate set of docs into both usr/share/doc/task-1.7.1 and
>> usr/share/doc/task, and you've had to add a few packaging definitions to get
>> around it; quite possibly as a side-effect of this, the cygwin-specific readme
>> gets installed as usr/share/doc/Cygwin/task.README, without any version
>> number.  Also, you choose to keep usr/share/doc/task and drop
>> usr/share/doc/task-1.7.1, which I think is the wrong way round.
>
> From the cygport NEWS file:
>
> 0.9.2:
>         * SRC_URI: now accepts SRPMs.
>         * PATCH_URI: now accepts multiple-patch tarballs.
>         * Installs documentation into /usr/share/doc/PACKAGE.
>
> This is a deliberate change between 0.4.x for cygwin-1.5, and 0.9.x for
> cygwin-1.7.

  Ah, I found the thread: "[RFC] 1.7 Packaging: Documentation", beginning
15/08/2008 08:43 on -apps.  Righto, so the unversioned ones are the correct
ones to keep.

>  However, it relies on the underlying package understanding
> and working with
>    docdir (for older autoconf)
>    datarootdir (for newer autoconf)
>
> So, if upstream task doesn't use the "correct" variables, then cygport
> is going to have trouble.  It will manually install some of the doc
> files into /usr/share/doc/PACKAGE, while the base package's make install
> might install some sub- or super- or disjoint set of files into $where_ever.

  For such packages, there's always the _CYGPORT_RESTRICT_postinst_doc_ flag
as a workaround, but it's better to fix the makefiles, either upstream or in a
cygwin-specific .src.patch.

    cheers,
      DaveK