Re: 1.7 installation failed (on network drive?)

I tried this installation to a network drive on one machine again with last week's new setup.exe, which didn't solve the problem as Corinna had assumed, but with more detailed test results:
The machine runs Windows XP Professional, drvies H: and T: are normal Windows mounts or NFTS network drives.
I started setup-1.7.exe from a command line after explicitly clearing PATH completely.

1. attempt, root dir T:\cygwin17, package dir H:\cygwin17:
---------------------------
Fehler
---------------------------
Could not change dir to H:\cygwin17: Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.

[00000002]
---------------------------
Abbrechen Wiederholen Ignorieren ---------------------------

which - by the way - suggests the recent fix about mkdir was not complete - at least the package directory still had to be created manually.

2. attempt, after manual mkdir H:\cygwin17:
---------------------------
Cygwin Setup
---------------------------
Can't open H:\cygwin17/http%3a%2f%2flinux.rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de%2fdownload%2fcygwin%2f/release-2/alternatives/alternatives-1.3.30c-10.tar.bz2.tmp for writing: No such file or directory
---------------------------
OK ---------------------------

3. attempt, this time with a local package dir D:\cygwin17:
---------------------------
In-use files detected
---------------------------
Unable to extract /etc/ -- the file is in use.

Please stop all Cygwin processes and select "Retry", or

select "Continue" to go on anyway (you will need to reboot).

---------------------------
Wiederholen Abbrechen ---------------------------
This is something that Alexander Quinn also reported these days, but since he mentioned C: paths, I don't think he tried network disks, right?

Side remarks:
1. If I hit Continue after the previous message, setup hangs at Installing /etc/alternatives/README
2. If I accidently put a space in front of the root directory, setup fails with a confusing message "The install directory must be absolute" - maybe some simple space stripping could be added here

4. attempt, the other way round: package directory H:\cygwin17, root directory D:\cygwin17:
Cygwin Setup
Can't open H:\cygwin17/http%3a%2f%2flinux.rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de%2fdownload%2fcygwin%2f/release-2/alternatives/alternatives-1.3.30c-10.tar.bz2.tmp for writing: No such file or directory

Only if I finally use local directories for both package and root dir, it works.

And to complete the report, as I noted before, installation of 1.5 to the same network locations (package and root) works.

Kind regards,
Thomas