Re: default terminal

On 2010-05-31 16:29, Christopher Faylor wrote:
What do you all think about a two step plan of first making mintty part
of the default install and then making it the default terminal?

In theory, it makes perfect sense, although I wonder if simply installing mintty by default might still be insufficient for people to realize that they can/should be using it.

Maybe it would be nice if setup.exe was smart enough to offer an
alternative between the vanilla windows console and mintty but I can't
make myself believe that people would understand the difference.

Me neither.

Part of the reason I want to do this is that I just saw Andy commenting
in a "Death of Cygwin" blog post where the author was surprised that
something like mintty existed at all.  I've seen enough people who were
pleased by mintty that I'm thinking that it probably would be solving
more problems than would be seen by people upset by cygwin ptys.

Well, if you are trying to put across Cygwin as a *NIX platform, then it makes sense that its default tools provide the functionality one would expect from *NIX, and as far as a console goes, that means ptys.

So as one who strongly opposes the ever-present Cygwin-is-Windows attitude, and a grateful mintty user, I am very much in favour of making mintty the default.

Yaakov