Re: gcc4: next release (Dave Korn we need you)

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 06:12:23PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>On 7/7/2010 5:03 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>>
>>> With Cygwin gcc and the -mno-cygwin option, using mingw.org's w32api.
>>
>> It doesn't use -mno-cygwin.  How could it?  The build uses the latest
>> gcc 4 which doesn't have that option.  It uses the Cygwin gcc either
>> natively
>
>Okay, with you so far.
>
>> or as a cross-compiler.
>
>Huh?  Do you mean that we use cygwin's gcc as a code generator, and turn
>off everything that makes it "cygwin":

I mean that *I* build the DLL with a cross compiler based on the
released version of gcc.  Others use the standard Cygwin gcc to build
the dll and utilities.

It's easy to see that we don't use -mno-cygwin or a mingw version of gcc
to build the cygwin dll.  And, obviously we need a cygwin version of
gcc to build cygwin utilities like mount and ps.

Whether we use w32api in the cygwin tree or from somewhere else really
doesn't matter as long as Cygwin builds.

cgf