This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: [ITA] - base-files
- From: Andy Koppe <andy dot koppe at gmail dot com>
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 07:07:18 +0000
- Subject: Re: [ITA] - base-files
- References: <20110110170805.GB3413@calimero.vinschen.de> <20110110184016.GA13647@jethro.local.lan> <20110111084522.GB13976@calimero.vinschen.de> <AANLkTi=a31_RGKCtdfwi-89r840sdLA-RwMvFtvYKSrx@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTikL3RdDVWUHhJQ39CjseBS0y38V_Q-x7rBQfWTE@mail.gmail.com> <20110112092716.GA10154@calimero.vinschen.de> <20110206214031.GB6839@jethro.local.lan> <4D52B5D8.email@example.com> <20110209164910.GK16194@calimero.vinschen.de> <20110223180240.GA6392@jethro.local.lan> <20110224090751.GN9392@calimero.vinschen.de> <AANLkTikhfKHDfYcdK06p8ojvC8gFvgv9d9Oz4AGrrkg6@mail.gmail.com> <AANLkTik12qx1Zfvq02PyuMLOVTTiaV5oWs587WU9bEp1@mail.gmail.com>
On 5 March 2011 17:03, Andy Koppe wrote:
>> Weird. I checked it out early this morning. Sometimes it doesn't work
>> for me either due to dyndns (or my router's ddclient client, I can't
>> tell for sure) not refreshing properly.
>> (...calls home and requests a whatsmyip query...)
>> OK. I've manually refreshed the IP and checked it out, it should be working now.
> The problem appears to be back.
Actually I had already downloaded this anyway. Looks great, only two
- Not that it makes a great difference, but I think the interactive
checks should be done before sourcing /etc/bash.bashrc and ~/.bashrc
from /etc/profile and ~/.profile, respectively, rather than doing it
in the rc files. That would save opening the rc files in
non-interactive login shells and unnecessary checks in interactive
- I think the commented-out CVS stuff in /etc/profile would be better
placed in ~/.bash_profile, to allow non-admin users to uncomment it.
Or perhaps just delete it altogether; since
CVSROOT=:pserver:firstname.lastname@example.org:/cvs/src isn't what's
recommended at http://cygwin.com/cvs.html anymore anyway.
And a question:
- Can we do away with ~/.bash_profile, and move the commented-out
PATH, MANPATH, and INFOPATH setting from there into ~/.profile? I see
the latter sources .bashrc anyway for bash shells, which makes sense.