Re: setup and mintty (was Re: New setup.exe release?)

On May 23 13:25, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 06:04:37PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >On May 23 11:33, Charles Wilson wrote:
> >> as-is.  What if you really WANT to use cmdbox?  How else can a
> >> cygwin-shell-in-cmdbox be started, other than a .bat file of some kind?
> >>  And since that's the only real way to do so, we ought to provide the file.
> >                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >                    Huh?
> >
> >You can simple create a Windows shortcut to bash.exe, edit it to
> >add a --login option, and that's all you really need.
>
> I agree, except for people who "need" to set the CYGWIN environment
> variable for some reason.  You have to do that before running bash.
>
> Maybe we should be looking into introducing a way to set the CYGWIN
> environment variable in the global environment and adding c:\cygwin\bin
> (or whatever) to the global PATH as well.

I would really like to avoid that.  The question is, which CYGWIN
settings are really needed before an application starts?  Apart from the
"debugging the Cygwin DLL" scenario, the only one I can think of is the
"tty" setting, and that's about to go away.

IMHO it would be quite helpful if a setenv ("CYGWIN", ...) or putenv
("CYGWIN=...") would change the CYGWIN settings for the calling process
as well.

Apart from that, maybe mintty could provide a CYGWIN environment
variable settings edit text in the properties dialog.

> The only downside that I see is that Andy may ask to renegotiate his
> contract.  I wouldn't be surprised if he asked to be paid double what
> he's getting now, in fact.

Uh oh.

Red Hat