Re: setup and mintty (was Re: New setup.exe release?)

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 02:16:42PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>On 5/23/2011 1:25 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> Maybe we should be looking into introducing a way to set the CYGWIN
>> environment variable in the global environment and adding c:\cygwin\bin
>> (or whatever) to the global PATH as well.
>
>I disagree.  I deliberately keep cygwin paths out of my global PATH, so
>that I can switch between various separate cygwin installs, and various
>MinGW/MSYS installs, without them all conflicting with each other.
>
>If we DO change setup to muck with global %PATH%, then we need another
>checkbox to opt out.

That's what I mean by "a way".  I know that people will complain if you
can't opt out but I think most people would like to be able to type
"bash" in their "Search programs and files" box and have bash start
automatically.  This would also help squash the myth that you have to
start some sort of magical Cygwin environment to use a Cygwin program
like "grep".

>(BTW, whatever happened to that 'check box persistence' patch?)

I think I volunteered to make the final check boxes persistent but it is
of such little importance to me that it will probably never get done.  I
don't think there has been another patch presented otherwise.

>> And, I can just imagine the blog entries now: "Cygwin finally offers an
>> intelligent terminal interface - after ten years!"
>
>Yep, that + unicode support is the most obvious user-visible improvement
>in the 'new user experience' in a long time.  Maybe even since the
>hallowed B19 -> B20.1 transition </cue choirs of angels>.
>
>Most of the other great improvements aren't immediately obvious to the
>new user...

The one thing that isn't clear is how this will affect the putty*
users whose blog entries claim this as the only solution to the problem
of "the cygwin terminal".  Will this impact them?  I sure hope so.

>> The only downside that I see is that Andy may ask to renegotiate his
>> contract.  I wouldn't be surprised if he asked to be paid double what
>> he's getting now, in fact.
>
>Andy needs a tipjar -- and a plug on this page:
>http://cygwin.com/donations.html

I'd be thrilled to add Andy to that page if he wants.  The same goes for
any maintainer.

cgf