Re: setup and mintty (was Re: New setup.exe release?)

On 5/23/2011 3:42 PM, Andy Koppe wrote:
> On 23 May 2011 17:04, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> On May 23 11:33, Charles Wilson wrote:
>>> In the former, I see pseudo-line drawing characters (e.g hyphens and
>>> plus signs, etc), but in the latter I see real line draw characters.
>>
>> Whatever that is, I guess it may not be overly tricky to implement in
>> mintty as well, *if* somebody takes the time to report the problem.
>
> Mintty does support that already. The feature was introduced by a
> certain three-letter PC Unix company, and the Linux console supports
> it too.
>
> The DEC vtXXX series did not have that, however, which is why xterm
> doesn't either. Instead, they have the "DEC Special Character and Line
> Drawing Set". When activated, character codes 0x60 to 0x7E map to
> those special characters, as shown here:
> http://vt100.net/docs/vt102-ug/table5-13.html. Mintty supports that
> one too.

Yes, I had thought that you'd put some work in that, which is (one
reason) I was confused.

>>> My point: there are some things that don't yet seem to work "right" in
>>> mintty, and I'm not really sure where the problem is.
>
> Chuck, what font are you using in mintty? It could just be that it
> doesn't have glyphs for the relevant codepoints, in which case mintty
> falls back to ASCII replacements. The default Lucida Console does have
> the linedrawing glyphs needed for the vt100 set.

</emily litella>Never mind.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/2364/saturday-night-live-weekend-update-emily-litella-on-violins-on-tv

Yep, works fine with Lucida Console.  I was using Consolas, which IMO
looks better...but yep, it appears to be missing the glyphs -- although
rumor has it that MS added the glyphs in their W7 version of this font.
 Since I'm running Vista and XP, well...   I probably knew that at one
point.  Maybe.

> If it's not that, then the xterm terminfo entry would indeed need a closer look.
>
> You can test support for the CP437 alternate charset, the vt100
> graphics, and also direct Unicode line drawing by catting the attached
> file created by Thomas Wolff.

Neat.  Do we have a list of "good" fonts for mintty, or is it basically
just Lucida Console + Courier New?

Maybe when I get home I'll test out a few...

Consolas
Andale Mono
Courier New
Lucida Console