Cygwin ports PHP 5.3.8-2 missing session extension

I upgraded my Cygwin PHP from 5.3.8 (or 5.3.8-1) to 5.3.8-2 - all from
cygwin ports- and since then PHP has been broken because this version
does not have built in 'session' extensions. I've tried a lot of
things including trying to use cygport to rebuild the php package
myself etc. But this process has had another whole set of issues.

Is this missing session extension a known bug or is there an update
planned to include the session extension? Or am I just not rtfm-ing
something and don't know what's going on.

Appreciate any help. Thanks!