Re: [RFC] disable static libraries?

On 2012-03-16 12:22, Charles Wilson wrote:
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:30:45PM -0500, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
So my question is, do you think about adding --disable-static to the
default configure flags in cygport, or is this better left to individual
maintainers to (be encouraged to?) do this themselves?

I think it sounds like it's a good idea to make it the default.

I agree, as long as it can be disabled (for instance, mingw-zlib, mingw-bzip2, etc, which are used by setup.exe and should provide static versions)

Like all default configure arguments, it could be overridden by passing --enable-static to cygconf or CYGCONF_ARGS. You would need to add this to your libiconv and gettext packages as well.

Remember that this would only affect libtool-based builds; IIRC neither bzip2 nor zlib use libtool, but libgpg-error, libgcrypt, and xz do. But given the nature of mingw usage, perhaps I should omit this in general for mingw?

Yaakov