Re: gdk-pixbuf update? (attn: Chuck)

On 2012-08-21 09:21, Ken Brown wrote:
As a result of the recent libpng update, emacs won't build.  emacs-X11
depends on gdk-pixbuf, and the latter (in its *.pc file) requires
libpng14.

And *this* shows the problem with removing libpng14-devel without warning. It's not just gdk-pixbuf2.0; -lpng14 shows up in a few other .pc files (all of which are exclusive to Ports) and *numerous* .la files, and they are now ALL broken because of this change. (Makes me glad to have ridden my system of most .la files, and is YA temptation to change the KEEP_LA_FILES default to "none".)

Chuck, for someone who hates flag days with a passion[1], you have most ironically forced one upon us without warning. Please rectify that by restoring libpng14-devel (with 1.4-versioned files only, of course) ASAP.

I manually changed libpng14 to libpng15 just to allow the
build to complete, but I don't know what consequences that might have.

None; you could just remove it entirely if you wanted.

Are you planning a gdk-pixbuf update in the near future?

I hadn't gotten around to the libpng updates yet. Since this is a bigger issue than just gdk-pixbuf, the solution is to restore libpng14-devel in the short term.

Yaakov

[1] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2009-03/msg00038.html