Re: cygport: allow patch files to omit PN-PV-PR?

On 9/9/2012 3:36 PM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
On Sun, 2012-09-09 at 11:55 -0400, Ken Brown wrote:
I like the most recent cygport change in Git that allows one to omit
PN-PV-PR from .cygport file names.  Have you thought about doing
something similar for the .src.patch and .cygwin.patch files?  The
advantage would be the avoidance of file renames, as with the .cygport
change.

Not really, because I don't recommend maintaining patches in the form of .src.patch and .cygwin.patch. After making code patches, I copy the .src.patch into one or more patches with appropriate names, which I then add to PATCH_URI and keep in version control. As for .cygwin.patch, with automatic setup.hint generation and no need for Cygwin READMEs, there isn't much of a need for CYGWIN-PATCHES anymore.

A lot of package maintainers are still using Cygwin READMEs. I use one for emacs, for instance, partially out of inertia, but also so that I can give Cygwin-specific usage notes. But I guess there's no reason to use CYGWIN-PATCHES for this; I could add it to SRC_URI instead.

Of the many packages that you maintain, there must be some for which there's a good reason to have a Cygwin README. How do you handle that?

Ken