Re: LICENSE: base-files and use of CC0

On 10/25/2012 12:43 AM, Jari Aalto wrote:

According to:

git clone git://github.com/dsastrem/base-files.git base-files.git

May files are put out using CC0 license[1]. I'm wondering this as it is to
my understanding recommended only for data (images, pure data files,
databases etc.), or for code snippets that accompany documentation (e.g.
code presented in manual).

According to the OSI FAQ item you pointed to, the problem is that the CC0 license doesn't stay mum on the subject of patent and trademark release, and it doesn't fork over all rights to relevant P&T's. Other than that, what you have is basically BSD 3-clause in the worst case, where the local laws don't allow public domain.

How is this a problem again? Are there patents and trademarks owned by these contributors that we think we will want to use in the future?