Re: nuke cygwin legacy?

Yaakov (Cygwin/X) writes:
> On Tue, 05 Feb 2013 20:56:42 +0100, Erwin Waterlander wrote:
>> It doesn't matter that it is not secure.
>
> Yes, it does.  IMHO it is irresponsible on our part to distribute
> unmaintained or knowingly vulnerable software, and it reflects badly on
> the Cygwin project.

Well, the target OS has been unmaintained for much longer and even
worse, you can't even download the service packs and patches for it
anymore.  I hope I will never have to re-install my Win98SE
laptop... but I need to keep it around, for two reasons: I have a
scanner that never got drivers for any later version than WinME and
unfortunately has buggy firmware that the Linux community hasn't yet
(and probably never will) work around, so it would otherwise be a sad
case of electronic waste.  The other reason is that I did manage to
install an almost up-to-date version of .Net onto it and this means I
can use it as a very nice logic analyzer (it has a touch screen) by
connecting a small box to USB so it actually does something useful
without ever getting connected to the net.

We actually have a bunch of PC at our lab at work still running Win98 or
WinNT for very much the same reason: expensive hardware that never got
their drivers updated (manufacturer gone belly-up or getting rid of that
particular product line or asking us to buy new hardware with new
drivers that actually doesn't do what the old one did).  These aren't
connected to the net as well, so there's no worry about their security,
especially as you can't go into the lab without an access token anyway.

Regards,
Achim.