Re: HELP with Cygwin docs needed

On Apr 24 12:31, Warren Young wrote:
> On 4/24/2013 11:20, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >
> >- What is the advantage of changing the format?
> [...]
> And as I now see, it looks like most of this work has been done
> already.  It looks like the main things remaining would be to rename
> *.sgml to *.xml and *.dsl to *.xsl to reflect their actual current
> contents, wrap the "SGML" fragment documents in proper XML
> containers, and then probably switch from the nonstandard doctool to
> XIncludes.
>
> I suspect that if I did that, you won't immediately see a
> difference, except that all .sgml became .xml.
>
> >- Will it work equally well to build the docs on Cygwin and on Fedora?
> >   Are the tools part of a default distro in both environments?
>
> The GNOME docs are split between DocBook XML and SGML[1].  So, yes,
> you can generally count on having the DocBook XML tools installed on
> Red Hattish Linuxes.  And if not, say because you've got a
> minimalist install, the tools are in the stock repos.
>
> As for Cygwin, I've built my two DBX manuals under Cygwin before,
> just to prove it can be done.  I tend to build on Linux and OS X for
> normal development, however, so it's been a while since I've tried
> this.

Ok, that sounds pretty good.  It's just important that *before* the
transition, we have to make sure that all tools are in the Cygwin
distro as well.  I'm building my stuff on Fedora so I'm off the hook,
but the basic idea is that everbody using the Cygwin tools should be
able to build the Cygwin package, including the docs.

So, if XInclude is not in the distro (I didn't check, actually), we need
a volunteer to provide it before changing the Cygwin docs.  I think I
know just the right guy ;)

Red Hat