Re: [64bit] Biber packaging questions

Yaakov (Cygwin/X) writes:
> If you're talking about perl_vendor, I think that's going to go away
> soon enough.

Last I suggested this to Reini he said he wasn't really considering it,
IIRC.  I have been packaging perl_vendor as a bundle of separate perl
distributions locally for almost two years now (i.e. perl_vendor has no
files of its own and only pulls in those distribution packages via
dependency).  I suggest to keep bundles as an easier way to install a
bunch of useful modules without the need to check each and every one (in
that vain I have another bundle that collects all those modules that I
need for building perl modules and then one bundle (that I will maybe
split soon) that consists of all modules I need locally for data
processing.

I've been thinking about making a cygport module for bundle packages
(this currently works via auto-generating cygport packages), let me know
if you'd be interested in integrating this into cygport.

>> By the way, I'm also going to have to add perl-Unicode-Collate, which
>> will become obsolete once Perl is updated, because the version of
>> Unicode::Collate included in perl-5.14 is too old.
>
> That's fine; we'll just need to remember that whenever we move to Perl
> 5.16.

I keep track of all the distribution packages via CPAN/MetaCPAN and a
bunch of Perl scripts.  Any dependencies that are in-core in Perl are
not built unless explicitly requested.  What's not yet implemented is a
check if some of those modules could be dropped when a new Perl version
gets rolled in.  I simply didn't need this yet, but it shouldn't be too
difficult to program.  Again, I think it would be possible to move some
or even all of this into a cygport module, although this comes with many
dependencies for Perl so it would probably best be an add-on to cygport
that still generates "plain" .cygport files?

Regards,
Achim.