Re: x86/ -> ./ symlink

Christopher Faylor writes:
> I don't see why.  The ports stuff could also go into the mix under the
> x86* directories.

That would make it more difficult to use seperately mirrored directories
(not downloaded via setup.exe) for installation.

> I presume that now it is only separated by the mirror name.

Yes.  Besides the URL-encoded name that probably nobody really likes, I
don't see why this structure would be inferior to the merged directories.

> Or, actually, I was also thinking of adding a release tag to setup.ini.
>
> release: x86
> release: x86_64
> release: cygwinports-x86
>
> That could be used to keep the cygwinports stuff separate from the
> normal release if it's really needed.

If you want to do that, then how about making the distinction at the
"release" level (Ports already does it, sort of, by naming it
"release-2") and push the setup.ini down one level?  In other words the
directory structure would then be

<arch>/setup-<tag>.ini

and everyone could live happily together with only a single directory to
look for setup*.ini files.  Scanning would only be needed if a <tag>
directory existed with no corresponding setup-<tag>.ini file (aka local
install).

Regards,
Achim.