Re: [RFC] cygport: PKG_OBSOLETES

On Jul 24 03:52, Warren Young wrote:
> On 7/23/2013 13:11, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> >
> >But libexpat1-devel is a BAD choice of name,
>
> You're only having a problem with -devel, right, not the library
> package proper?
>
> Does this .cygport file solve the problem?
>

> DESCRIPTION="Expat XML parser library"
> HOMEPAGE="http://expat.sourceforge.net/";
> SRC_URI="mirror://sourceforge/${PN}/${P}.tar.gz"
>
> abi=1
> PKG_NAMES="${PN} lib${PN}${abi} lib${PN}-devel"
> PKG_HINTS="setup lib${abi} devel"
> PKG_CONTENTS[0]='usr/bin/*.exe usr/share/'
> PKG_CONTENTS[1]="usr/bin/*-${abi}.dll"
> PKG_CONTENTS[2]='usr/include/ usr/lib/'
>
> CYGCONF_ARGS="--enable-static"
>
> DIFF_EXCLUDES="expat_config.h.in"
>
> HTMLDOCS="doc/*.png doc/*.html doc/*.css"
>

> The only change from the one I used to build the -2 package is that
> the PKG_NAMES line used to be:
>
> PKG_NAMES="${PN} lib${PN}${abi} lib${PN}${abi}-devel"
>

> It's probably best to just rename this stuff in the repo.  The last
> release of Expat was 6 years ago, and I have no information that
> leads me to expect another release soon.  If there were an imminent
> release due, I'd say hold off, and let me roll the change into that
> version.
>
> Anyway, I've changed my local .cygport file as above, in case I ever
> have to use it again. :)

The problem I see is that we have 16 packages in the 32 bit distro
requiring libexpat1-devel, 2 packages in the 64 bit distro, and 8
packages in the 64 bit distro requiring libexpat-devel.

Regardless of libexpat1-devel supposedly being a bad choice of names,
from the global distro perspective, it would be much easier to remove
the libexpat-devel package from the 64 bit distro and go over the hint
files manually for now.

Otherwise you would have to introduce a new 32 bit package and
get all maintainers to change their dependencies accordingly for the
next package.

Just a thought...

Red Hat